Wednesday, July 11, 2012

There is always new

It has been a long time since I last posted in this journal. I forgot about the therapeutic value to sharing my thoughts. It helps me process what goes on in my day to day life along with shedding light on things of my past.

In three days I will be leaving for a UK/European tour with As Cities Burn. It has been a year and a few months since I have last been on tour and the things God has healed in me since then have been uncountable. I don't plan on touring full time again anytime soon if ever, but I am definitely excited to see new parts of this world and let the beauty of travel challenge my thinking.

In the transition from touring with Haste the Day I went from being in a new place daily to working at a restaurant a block from my house and never having to leave a 3 mile radius. This drastic change in lifestyle brings a new (and much more important) weight to the word "commitment". The idea of relationship changes from a short term warm and fuzzy to an investment of time, emotion, compassion, and encouragement. This was no easy pill to swallow. But now that the lesson is learned, and I am on corse of truly living in commitment to the people around me, I feel a sense of security where I am. Something that life on the road could never provide.

Although, this tour is not necessarily long (about 2 weeks), it is important to me that I keep these things on the forefront of my mind. Most importantly that my identity does not rest in a band or an musical instrument but in that I am the image of the invisible God. Redeemed by grace and made humble by failure. The battle has already been won and I now stand victorious with Christ as my right hand.

Now I can say, as I type, I am becoming giddy with excitement for what the Lord will bring over the next few weeks. I want to be submerged in God's love as I meet new people and hear their stories. I want to be challenged by a culture not my own and pushed to become more understanding in the character of God and His children.

So, if you pray(or even if you don't) please pray that I do not fall back into my old ways of thinking and that I can move forward in what God has for me.

thank you.

ps. I am overwhelmed with joy that I get to play music on the road again even if it is for such a short time. Not to mention that it is one of my favorite bands and a great group of guys to hang with.


I hope to be posting more of these while I am traveling, not for your benefit but for my own.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog! Thanks for posting. Nice opportunity to peak inside the head and heart of an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you Stephen. Love ya, John,Vicki & Elway#7

    ReplyDelete